Age of Worms
Favored Regions: Any
Favored Religions: Calistria, Desna, Norgorber, or as parent race
Female Names: As parent race
Male Names: As parent race
Appearance: Changelings are shapechangers, but in their natural form they show clear doppelganger heritage. A changeling’s limbs are slightly too spindly and its head slightly too big. Its skin is a pale grey and its white hair is find and limp. However, its most disturbing feature is its face: a changeling has virtually no nose or lips and its milky-white eyes have no pupils. Changelings vary in height considerably, from 4 to 6 feet tall, but are always light for their height, ranging in weight from 75 lbs to 150 lbs, with no significant difference in size between the races.
Changelings are not a race, per se. Instead, they are the mutant descendents of ancient couplings of doppelgangers and other races. All children of a changeling and another race will be changelings themselves, while a child of two changelings will be stillborn.
It is difficult to describe a typical changeling, as they can be born to any race and grow up in any culture. About the only thing changelings have in common is a desire to hide what they are. This is understandable, as other races tend to fear the enigmatic changelings that may or may not lurk in their midst.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, −2 Constitution: Changelings are agile and adept at fitting into social situations, but their thin bodies make them frail.
- Medium: Changelings have no size bonuses or penalties.
- Base land speed: 30 feet
- Change shape (Su): Changelings can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid of either sex and any appearance. This does not affect the changeling’s clothing and equipment, nor does it grant any abilities of the new form. This is a physical change, and can only be detected magically with true seeing. A changeling can change shape at will as a full-round action. This lasts until the changeling changes shape again or dies (at which point it reverts to its true shape).
- Silver-tongued: Changelings are very aware of body language and subtle social cues, granting them a +2 bonus on all Deception and Persuasion rolls.
- Resistances: Like their doppelganger ancestors, changelings are hard to influence magically. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against sleep and charm effects.
- Languages: Changelings begin play with automatic the languages of their parent race. A changeling with a high Intelligence score can choose any bonus language they want, barring secret languages.